Maintaining a Honda self-propelled mower is much like maintaining any other mower. The Honda self-propelled mower has a transmission that allows you to walk behind the mower rather than push it. To change the oil in a Honda self-propelled mower, no adjustments are necessary to the transmission but you need to follow a few safety guidelines before working on your mower. Check your engine oil before each use and change it after every 50 hours of use.
Turn off the fuel valve located on the left side of the Honda self-propelled mower motor, below the fuel tank and next to the carburetor. Disconnect the spark plug wire by pulling it from the spark plug located on the front of the mower motor. Follow these two safety steps to avoid any injury to yourself or damage to your mower.
Remove the filler cap/dipstick from the oil filler neck located on the right side of the motor. Make sure you wipe the filler area clean so no debris washes back into the oil tank.
Drain the oil from the Honda self-propelled mower while the engine is still warm. The oil drains faster and more completely from a warm engine than from a cool engine.
Place a container to catch the oil next to the mower and tilt the mower onto its right side. The old oil drains from the filler neck. Once the oil drains completely from the self-propelled mower, dispose of the used engine oil properly through a local recycling center.
Fill with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 10W-30 engine oil until it reaches the upper limit mark on the dipstick attached to the filler cap. The dipstick has two markings on it, one for the upper limit and the other for the lower limit.
Replace the spark plug wire onto the spark plug. Do not turn the fuel valve on until necessary to start your Honda self-propelled mower.
Things You Will Need
- Cloth or rag
- Oil drain pan
- SAE 10W-30 engine oil
- How do I Change the Deck on a Walker Mower?
- Replace the Flywheel Key on a Briggs & Stratton
- Change the Oil in Cub Cadet Lawn Mowers
- Replace Oil in Kenmore Washer Transmissions
- How Do You Change the Oil in a John Deere 314 Hydrostatic Transmission
- Kohler 18 HP Magnum Twin Specs
- Change the Lawn Mower Oil on a Cub Cadet Mower
- Instructions for Greasing a Toro Riding Mower
- Briggs & Stratton 4.5 HP Oil Change Instructions
- Adjust a Carburetor on a Ryobi Grass Trimmer
- Clean the Carburetor on a 6.5 Toro Lawn Mower
- Do a Poulan Lawn Mower Tune-Up