You can bring a bit of the garden to a porch or deck with a hanging basket of flowers. Cascading blooms and greenery thrive in hanging baskets until a bird makes the basket its home and builds a nest. There are a few humane and simple ways to keep birds out of hanging baskets.
Hang inflatable balloons decorated with big eyes that resemble a predator’s eyes. This confuses the birds and helps keep them from making a nest in the basket. These balloons can be purchased in pet stores and in some home improvement stores.
Place strips of sparkling red tape on the wire hanging basket holders so that they shimmer in the breeze. The shiny pieces of tape frighten birds and works to detract them from building their home in your hanging plant.
Stick a child’s toy pinwheel in the soil located in the hanging basket. The colorful and constant movement of the pinwheel bothers birds and keeps them from nesting in your plant.
Hide a rubber snake inside the plant foliage. The snake needs to be realistic looking and positioned as this actual bird predator would lie. Change the location of the snake in the plant basket frequently to keep the birds off guard.
- Stop Woodpeckers From Pecking on Trees
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Attaching a Hanging Planter to a Cinder Block Fence
- What Birds Eat Sweetgum Tree Fruit?
- Get Rid of Killdeer Birds
- Dye Bird Toys With Food Color
- Get Rid of Annoying Birds in the Yard
- The Average Size of the Venus Fly Trap
- Grow a Mouse Plant
- Care for a Gold Fish Plant
- Set Up a Bluebird House
- Keep Squirrels From Eating Flowers