Poisonous Grape Vines
When eating berries found in the wild, it's important to identify them. The fruit of some plants may be edible, but the leaves and stems poisonous. Grapes are easy to spot, and no part of the plant is poisonous to humans.
Grape vines and other parts of the grape vine such as leaves and roots are not poisonous to humans. Some poisonous plants, such as Canada moonseed, look similar to grape vines. All parts of that plant are poisonous and ingesting the plant can lead to seizures and convulsions.
Grapes, raisins, grape vines and all parts of the grape vine including its leaves, are thought to be poisonous to dogs. While some dogs have no adverse reactions after eating grapes or grape vine, others become extremely ill, so caution should be exercised. Grape vines can be used for decoration in birdcages, as they are not toxic to birds.
Grape vines can be used in survival situations as a source of water. Cut the vine as close to the ground as possible and cut a long slit down the entire length of the vine so water begins flowing out the vine’s bottom.
Grape Vines To Fruit
Test the pH of the soil before planting your grape vines and periodically afterward to ensure that the soil stays within the optimal range for grape vine growth. Grape vines prefer a pH between 5.0 and 6.0; add lime to the soil if it is below this level, or add sulfur if the soil is above it. Apply 8 ounces of a 10-10-10 fertilizer to your grape vines within a week of planting, then apply 1 pound of the same fertilizer approximately 30 days before the growing period begins the next spring. Water your grape vines frequently to ensure that the roots are getting sufficient water. This is especially important during the first two years while the vines are still establishing themselves. Check your vines for signs of insect infestation, disease or other problems on a regular basis. The first harvest or two may be small but yield size will increase in the years to follow.