Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map!

Allergy to Hyacinths

By Krista Sheehan ; Updated July 21, 2017
The hyacinth flower can cause allergic reactions when handled or consumed.
hyacinth image by Alison Bowden from Fotolia.com

The hyacinth is a bulb flower that blossoms in the spring. The bulb, sap and leaves of the hyacinth contain allergenic components. When these components are touched or ingested, they can cause an allergic reaction.

Hyacinth Itch

The hyacinth bulb, sap and leaves contains an oil that contains many toxic elements. When this oil comes in contact with the skin, it can cause a condition known as “hyacinth itch.”


According to SpookSpring.com, hyacinth itch can cause a rash, violent itching, inflammation and blisters on the skin. The blisters put the body at risk for further infection.


Hyacinths are also poisonous to humans and cattle, as explained by Weather.com. When consumed, hyacinth bulbs will cause vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps.


An allergic reaction to a hyacinth bulb or flower should be treated immediately by washing the area thoroughly with warm water and mild soap. Severe allergic reactions should be referred to a physician for additional treatment.


To prevent an allergic reaction, individuals should wear thick gloves while handling a hyacinth bulb or flower. After handling, the hands should be washed thoroughly and dried with paper towels that can be disposed of.


About the Author


Krista Sheehan is a registered nurse and professional writer. She works in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and her previous nursing experience includes geriatrics, pulmonary disorders and home health care. Her professional writing works focus mainly on the subjects of physical health, fitness, nutrition and positive lifestyle changes.