Poisonous Leaves on an Orange Tree
Orange tree leaves are well-known for being non-toxic for humans; in fact, they are sometimes harvested for teas and other home remedies. However, in rare conditions where gardeners misuse chemical pesticides, the leaves may become toxic for some time if not taken care of immediately. This is a dangerous situation and should be looked into immediately.
Insecticides containing poisonous chemical ingredients are often applied to orange trees to protect them from dangerous insect threats, such as aphids, mealybugs and white flies. It is common for gardeners to apply a water-soluble pesticide as a first line of defense, but when unsuccessful harsher treatments are commonly used. Although water-soluble pesticides will wash off instantly from the leaves, oil sprays have a thicker consistency and may last for days or weeks at a time. This spray should never come in contact with a human, especially children, and it is important to contact emergency help right away in such cases when sprays do come in contact with people.
- Orange tree leaves are well-known for being non-toxic for humans; in fact, they are sometimes harvested for teas and other home remedies.
- However, in rare conditions where gardeners misuse chemical pesticides, the leaves may become toxic for some time if not taken care of immediately.
Molds and fungi can infest orange trees and cause severe problems with harvest when left untreated. When fungicides are used to treat these problems it is important to wash the leaves thoroughly before coming into any kind of contact with them. Until the entirety of toxic residue is washed off the leaves, they not safe for human touch or ingestion.
Few fertilizers are dangerous to humans but those containing foliate have a slight chance of leaving slight levels of toxins on the leaves during irrigation and precipitation. Consider these products carefully before applying them to any plant and make sure to thoroughly wash all leaves and fruits before ingesting them.
Consumers should always be cautious of ingesting vegetables and fruits that are picked up at local orchards and garden stores, even those that are organic. Various toxins are inadvertently left on the product and can cause serious complications. To be safe, simply wash all products before coming in any type of physical contact with them.
- Molds and fungi can infest orange trees and cause severe problems with harvest when left untreated.
- When fungicides are used to treat these problems it is important to wash the leaves thoroughly before coming into any kind of contact with them.
Gardeners can prevent such dangers from occurring by taking stock of all chemicals used on their trees and thoroughly washing them after each harvest. Some sprays are not soluble to water and can remain on crops for unexpected periods of time. Children and pets should never come into contact with any of these materials under any circumstances as they are highly susceptible to being poisoned.
- "Long Range Transport of Pesticides"; David A. Kurtz; 1990
- "Toxins in Everyday Life"; Chey H and Buchanan S.; 2008
Jonathan Budzinski started his writing career in 2007. His work appears on websites such as WordGigs. Budzinski specializes in nonprofit topics as he spent two years working with Basic Rights Oregon and WomanSpace. He has received recognition as a Shining Star Talent Scholar in English while studying English at the University of Oregon.