Quicklawn is a registered trademark "super grass" for residential lawns. It's reputed to be "the world's first four-season grass" and is sold by Gardeners' Choice of South Hartford, Michigan. No U.S. Department of Agriculture hardiness zone rating is mentioned on the product or in advertisements, but it is not a warm-season grass.
According to online written and video advertising, Quicklawn is ideal for establishing a lawn. The grass seed sprouts quickly—in as little as five days—and grows in a wide array of soils. It tolerates sun and shade and winter cold to -20 degrees Fahrenheit and "high summer heat." No temperature point is provided. Other claimed features include staying green in all four seasons, excellent insect and disease resistance and withstanding heavy foot traffic.
According to the product label, Quicklawn grass seed is a blend of two species of cool-season grasses: annual and perennial ryegrasses. Annual ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum) comprises 94 percent of the seed while perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne) makes up the remaining 6 percent.
Based on an online database of common turfgrasses published by the University of California-Davis, these ryegrasses are best suited to moist soils and fall-to-spring growing conditions. Annual ryegrass appreciates watering and grows when temperatures are cool after sowing, from fall to spring; it dies in late spring once it flowers, seeds and temperatures get too hot. The database states, "not for use as a permanent lawn." Perennial ryegrass germinates in three to five days, needs lots of watering and establishes a thick turf in four to eight weeks; it endures for many years if growing conditions remain optimal.
Ryegrasses, being cool-season grasses, actively grow when temperatures do not consistently remain above 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. In the southern United States, that makes the seed blend of Quicklawn appropriate for lush performance from roughly October to May. In the northern states, this ryegrass blend may perform better with the shorter, cooler summers, but exposure to temperatures below -20 degrees causes leaves to lose green color and turn tan. Quicklawn is not a good choice for regions where warm-season grasses dominate, such as St,. Augustine grass, centipede grass or Bermuda grass. Even perennial ryegrass will go dormant or die once summer becomes too hot and soil too dry. Texas A&M University calls ryegrasses temporary annual grasses for the South.
Richard Jauron of the Iowa State University Horticulture Department discusses advertising claims of a wide array of plants. He writes, "Home gardeners should use common sense when scanning these and similar advertisements. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Quicklawn is mentioned. If you live in a region that is rated USDA hardiness zone 7 or warmer, your summers likely will prove too long and hot for ryegrass lawns to look their best year-round and survive long-term.
- University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program: The UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
- University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program: Perennial Ryegrass
- Iowa State University: Plant Advertisments: Fact versus Fiction
- University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program: Annual Ryegrass
- Gardeners Choice: Quicklawn
- Texas A&M University: Ryegrass
- Plant Rye Seed
- What Is Canada Green Grass Seed?
- Types of Grass in Fresno
- Grass Types Suitable for Alaska
- Spread Buffel Grass Seed
- What Kind of Grass Will Grow Without Sun?
- Calculate Grass Seed for Overseeding
- Pearl Grass Vs. Carpet Grass
- When Is Grass Seed Ready to Harvest?
- The Best Grass Seed for Hawaii
- Characteristics of Different Types of Grass Seeds
- Types of Grass to Plant in Iowa