Using chlorine bleach around plants is sometimes necessary when completing cleaning and disinfecting projects around your home. Because of its high cleaning and disinfecting power, chlorine bleach can also be harmful when not handled properly around plants. When small amounts of diluted chlorine bleach are introduced to plants, it can actually be beneficial. However, if large amounts are absorbed by plants, the chlorine bleach can affect the mineral absorption of the plants, thus causing plant death.
Dilute the chlorine bleach before use. For proper disinfecting without killing plant life, add 1 tbsp. per 1 quart of water.
Cover any outdoor plants using plastic garbage bags or plastic sheeting when working with a chlorine bleach product around them. To prevent any accidental bleach exposure to the plants, do any projects that require the use of bleach on a driveway or distant part of your lawn where landscaping won't be affected.
Use a hand-pump garden sprayer to use pure chlorine bleach as a weed killer. Other spraying methods, such as garden hoses with a spraying attachment, risk over-spraying the chlorine bleach onto landscaping plants.
Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Garbage bags
- Hand-pump garden sprayer
- Rinse any plants that were accidentally sprayed with chlorine bleach using clean water in buckets, or simply spray the plants with your garden hose.
- To do away with the risk of harming your plants with chlorine bleach, use oxygen-based bleach that lacks the strong, plant-harming chemicals.
- Wear protective clothing and gear such as goggles, gloves and old clothing when working with chlorine bleach.
- Roundup Weedkiller Instructions
- Saltwater Pool Plants
- Put Bleach in Standing Water in Plant Pots
- Harvest & Store Green Beans
- Effects of Hot Tub Chemicals on Plants
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Clean the Ring Around the Pool Tile
- Prepare a Concrete Wall for Painting
- When to Plant Azalea Bushes
- Ant Control
- How Does a Saltwater Chlorine Generator Chlorinator Work?
- Does Chlorinated Water Kill Grass?