Sand spurs are summer annual weeds that germinate and mature each season. The fruits are felt in the fall, when it is too late to kill the plant using chemicals. Herbicides are not effective on sand spurs once they have bloomed in the fall. Apply a pre-emergent herbicide containing imazapic to the lawn in the spring, following the label directions, according to the University of Florida. Maintaining a healthy lawn will prevent sand spurs from forming.
- The Best Time of Day to Spray for Lawn Weeds
- Does Chlorinated Water Kill Grass?
- Types of Weeds in Centipede Grass
- Grass & Weeds That Grow in the Sand
- Kill Crabgrass in Centipede Lawns
- Reclaim a Pasture from Weeds
- Kill Mare's-tail Weed
- About Sand Plum Trees
- Get Rid of Lawn Weeds With Yellow Flowers
- How Often Can You Spray Lawns for Weeds?
- Pour Concrete on Sand
- Common Types of Lawn Weeds in Louisiana