If you want a well-manicured lawn, a must-have tool is a lawn edger. Edgers are used to give your a lawn a nice finished edge where it adjoins sidewalks or driveways. Edgers may either be electric powered or gas powered. Gas-powered edgers have a drive belt which spins the edger blade. If the belt becomes worn or breaks, it will need to be replaced with a replacement belt.
Grasp the spark plug wire boot and pull it from the back of the spark plug.
Drain the gasoline and oil from the edger's engine into approved containers.
Tilt the edger backward until the handle lies flat on the ground. Place a heavy brick or other object over the handle to prevent the edger from tipping back up.
Remove all the screws from the belt guard and set aside.
Push the blade bearing housing toward the engine of the edger to release the tension on the drive belt.
Note how the belt is twisted around the engine pulley before removing it. The new belt will need to be installed in this exact manner. Remove the belt from both the engine pulley and the drive pulley.
Install the new belt around both pulleys while maintaining compression on the blade bearing housing. Ensure the twist is the same on the new belt as it was on the old belt. Release compression on the blade bearing housing to secure the belt in place.
Re-install the belt guard and fasten into place with the original screws.
Set the edger back upright and fill the gas and oil reservoirs to their appropriate levels. Reattach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.
Things You Will Need
- Containers for gas and oil
- Heavy brick
- Remove Craftsman Lawn Mower Blades
- Sharpen a Mulching Lawn Mower Blade
- Grind or Cut Back Concrete
- Break in a New Lawn Mower Engine
- Adjust Deck Height on a Yardman Riding Mower
- Change a Drive Belt on a Zero Turn Lawnmower
- Adjust the Drive Cable on a Craftsman Lawn Mower
- Remove a Homelite Trimmer Clutch
- Replace the Blade on a Toro Recycler 6.5 Lawn Mower
- How To Start a John Deere Riding Mower
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Tune up a Honda Lawn Mower