Make funeral wreaths with fresh garden blooms, dried or silk flowers. Fill a wreath form with blossoms for a hand-made sympathy expression. A floral wreath can be hung on the door or an easel at the church or funeral home. Set a framed photo of the deceased in the center of a wreath that is lying on a display table at the funeral home. A simple urn or cremation box can be surrounded with a wreath of beautiful flowers.
Remove any packaging from the wreath form. Soak a fresh floral form in water for at least 30 minutes to saturate the material.
Set the wreath form on a flat work surface. Cut flowers from the stalk leaving a 1-1/2 to 2 inch stem.
Strip any remaining leaves from the short stems. Insert the stems into the foam starting at the bottom of the outside edge. Insert a round toothpick through the center of smaller stems on flowers such as daisies or chrysanthemum poms. Push the toothpick-stable stem down into the foam. Stagger the heights of the flowers slightly.
Fill in the entire wreath form. Hold the wreath in front of a mirror to check for any gaps in the floral piece.
Write the title of the deceased, such as "Aunt", "Brother" or "Friend," on a piece of wide satin ribbon with the glitter glue pen. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly before handling the ribbon. Attach the ribbon to the wreath with a florist greening pin or corsage pin. Stretch the ribbon across the open center of the wreath and secure it on the opposite side. Add a ribbon bow for another finishing option.
Things You Will Need
- Heart or round wreath form
- Knife or wire cutters
- Carnations, daisies, chrysanthemum poms or statice
- Round toothpicks
- Satin ribbon
- Glitter glue pen
- Silk flowers are appropriate for a funeral wreath that will be displayed at the grave site for several weeks.
- Hydrangea blooms or peony blossoms are good base flowers for a large impressive wreath.
- Make a Floral Casket Blanket
- Make a Flower Casket Spray
- Harvest & Store Green Beans
- Coat Flowers in Resin
- Cone Wrap Flowers
- Save Cut Flowers Forever
- Do Geraniums Need Full Sun All Day?
- Preserve Flower Petals
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Grow Zebra Grass
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Make Beer Mug Carnation Flower Centerpieces