Make funeral wreaths with fresh garden blooms, dried or silk flowers. Fill a wreath form with blossoms for a hand-made sympathy expression. A floral wreath can be hung on the door or an easel at the church or funeral home. Set a framed photo of the deceased in the center of a wreath that is lying on a display table at the funeral home. A simple urn or cremation box can be surrounded with a wreath of beautiful flowers.
Remove any packaging from the wreath form. Soak a fresh floral form in water for at least 30 minutes to saturate the material.
Set the wreath form on a flat work surface. Cut flowers from the stalk leaving a 1-1/2 to 2 inch stem.
Strip any remaining leaves from the short stems. Insert the stems into the foam starting at the bottom of the outside edge. Insert a round toothpick through the center of smaller stems on flowers such as daisies or chrysanthemum poms. Push the toothpick-stable stem down into the foam. Stagger the heights of the flowers slightly.
Fill in the entire wreath form. Hold the wreath in front of a mirror to check for any gaps in the floral piece.
Write the title of the deceased, such as "Aunt", "Brother" or "Friend," on a piece of wide satin ribbon with the glitter glue pen. Allow the glue to dry thoroughly before handling the ribbon. Attach the ribbon to the wreath with a florist greening pin or corsage pin. Stretch the ribbon across the open center of the wreath and secure it on the opposite side. Add a ribbon bow for another finishing option.
Things You Will Need
- Heart or round wreath form
- Knife or wire cutters
- Carnations, daisies, chrysanthemum poms or statice
- Round toothpicks
- Satin ribbon
- Glitter glue pen
- Silk flowers are appropriate for a funeral wreath that will be displayed at the grave site for several weeks.
- Hydrangea blooms or peony blossoms are good base flowers for a large impressive wreath.
- Save Cut Flowers Forever
- Make a Prom Flower Bouquet
- Make a Headstone Flower Arrangement
- Preserve Flowers in Jewelry
- Cone Wrap Flowers
- Make Floral Arrangements Using Clear Gel
- Dry & Save Frangipani Flowers
- Make a Fresh Flower Bunny
- Make an Arm Corsage
- Make a Wrist Corsage With an Elastic Band
- Dry Flowers With Hairspray
- Dry Out a Corsage