Gardeners have used Borax to kill creeping charlie in lawns for decades. The secret to Borax's effectiveness is its active ingredient, boron. Boron is actually a plant micronutrient found in trace amounts in most soils. When it is present in large amounts, it kills plants. However, you can eradicate creeping charlie and keep your grass alive because it takes a slightly higher amount of boron to kill turf grass than it does to kill creeping Charlie. The solution used in these steps makes enough Borax weed killer to treat 1,000 square feet of your lawn.
Add 1/2 cup of warm water to 1-1/4 cups of Borax in a small plastic container. Stir until the Borax is completely dissolved.
Fill a bucket with 2-1/2 gallons of water. Add the Borax solution. Stir until the Borax is completely dissolved.
Pour the diluted Borax solution into your hose-end sprayer.
Spray the contents of the hose-end sprayer evenly over 1,000 square feet of lawn.
Refill the sprayer and reapply to your lawn. Repeat until all of the diluted Borax solution has been sprayed on the lawn.
Things You Will Need
- Small plastic container
- Hose-end sprayer
- The horticultural experts at Iowa State University Extension recommend treating creeping charlie with Super Trimec or another dicamba-based herbicide when Borax is no longer an option.
- A healthy lawn is the best defense against creeping charlie. Once you have kileed the creeping charlie with Borax, reseed any bare patches. Follow a regular fertilization, mowing and watering schedule to encourage a thick, weed-resistant lawn.
- Borax accumulates in a lawn. You can only treat the lawn with Borax once a year for two years. After that, you should switch to a standard herbicide.
- Kill Dallis Grass
- Control Moles & Gophers With Castor Oil Pellets Using a Lawn Spreader
- Where Can I Buy Sod for My Lawn?
- Kill Dallis Grass in Centipede Grass
- How Many Blades of Grass Are in a Square Foot?
- Kill Crabgrass in Bermuda Grass
- Do I Water a Lawn After Applying Grub Control?
- The Best Time to Treat Lawn Weeds
- Neutralize Dog Urine on Grass
- When Is Grass Seed Ready to Harvest?
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- The Best Grass Seed for Patches