What Do I Use to Separate Tomato Peel & Seed From Pulp & Juice?
Put tomatoes through a specialized strainer called a food mill. The food mill separates seeds and skins from the juice and pulp. Some models are turned by hand, while other are driven by a motor.
Tomato Plants For Juice
Tomato size is not determined by the size of the plants. Many varieties produce a lot of small fruit on large, sprawling plants; some produce large fruit on smaller, more compact plants designed to be grown in containers. Size is determined by variety and breeding, and like most fruits and vegetables, tomatoes have a high water content. Unlike mass-produced hybrids, heirloom or old-fashioned tomatoes are not attractive, but they more than make up for their lack of beauty with flavor and culinary versatility. Another choice is Better Boy, which also produces large, fleshy, juicy fruit. Champion, Celebrity, Royal Flush and Supersteak also produce large fruits with a high juice content. Determinate tomato plants produce smaller plants that generally grow no taller than 3 feet. Once strained, the juice is put through a sieve or food mill to remove all seeds and pieces of skin and core, and heated again before being processed in canning jars or stored in the freezer. Tomato juice is the basic essence of the fruit, and it is from this that all other sauce-based products are made.
- Put tomatoes through a specialized strainer called a food mill.
- Unlike mass-produced hybrids, heirloom or old-fashioned tomatoes are not attractive, but they more than make up for their lack of beauty with flavor and culinary versatility.
- Canning Pantry: Canning Tomatoes Products
- Louisiana State University Agricultural Center: Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Juice
- University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension: Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Juice
- Pick Your Own: How to Make Home and Can Tomato Juice at Home-Easily
- University of Illinois Extension: Tomato
- Sunset: Our Favorite Tomatoes
- University of California Davis: Tomatoes
- North Carolina State University: Canning Tomato Products