Building a patio, path or driveway out of pea gravel is a process that adds a rustic quality to the look of your home. The look of the gravel, however, can be ruined when weeds begin to creep up between the rocks. If left untreated, the weeds can quickly take over your gravel path and make your yard look unkempt. Before laying the gravel it is important to take steps to prevent the likelihood of weeds growing up through it.
Dig at least 1 foot in the area you will place your path or walkway. Digging 1 foot in depth will remove any weeds and roots already in the area, and prevent them from posing a problem once you have laid the gravel.
Cut pieces of landscaping cloth to size with a utility knife and lay them in the trough you dug previously. Be liberal with your application of the cloth. Make sure no dirt is visible below the cloth. If you apply a double layer of cloth, you will have less chance of weeds coming through the gravel. Secure the fabric in place by placing landscape fabric stakes every few inches along the edges.
Cover the cloth with pea gravel. If you wish to save money, buy larger gravel, which typically is less expensive than pea gravel. Fill the trough with the large gravel and spread the pea gravel over the top 1 to 2 inches.
Things You Will Need
- Landscaping cloth
- Landscape fabric stakes
- Utility knife
- Monitor the gravel for weeds. Though the landscaping cloth should prevent the weeds from growing up through the gravel, seeds from a germinating weed can land on the gravel and begin to grow. Pull up any weeds you see and/or regularly spray the gravel thoroughly with a weed killer to keep the area looking tidy.
- Will Gravel in a Crawl Space Keep Moisture Down?
- Landscape With Bull Rock
- The Growth Rate of Emerald Green Arborvitae
- Lay Brick Garden Edging
- Build a Brick Driveway
- Edge a Flagstone Patio
- Lay Patio Pavers in Florida
- Landscape With White Rock
- Plant With Extra Large Planters
- Line a Raised Bed Garden
- Use Driveway Pavers on a Steep Driveway
- Lay Circular Brick for a Patio