That 2-foot, tannish-furred critter knocking over your garbage cans that is neither raccoon nor household pet is most likely a possum, the only marsupial native to the United States and Canada. Also called opossums, these scavengers often visit residence areas in search of food, which includes nuts, eggs and fruit as well as small animals, birds and insects. Keep them away from your yard and out of your pet's food with simple yet effective, and mostly inexpensive, methods.
Ensure your yard is well maintained and therefore less attractive to possums. Keep all garbage cans in your garage, shed or other fenced-in area that possums cannot breach. Make sure the lids are always on the cans and fitted properly. Pick up fallen fruit from any fruit trees you may have on your property regularly, and keep shrubs and trees pruned and long grasses mowed. Possums like to make nests in tree crevices, under housing and brush piles in addition to being attracted to food sources.
Block off any entrances to the home, including porches, decks, holes or open areas under the home, fences and dog doors.
Install a motion-activated sprinkler system to go off upon movement if dealing with more than one possum or one that persists despite your best efforts.
Set up possum traps in areas they seem to frequent. Look for droppings and tracks to identify high-traffic possum areas. Call your local animal control to remove the possums.
Bring all pet food dishes inside for the evening each night.
Things You Will Need
- Pruning sheers
- Lawn mower
- Trash cans for yard debris
- Motion-activated sprinkler system (optional)
- Possum traps (optional)
- Sprinkler systems may also go off when other animals, such as squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, dogs and cats, run in the affected area, which scares pets and wastes water.
- Remove a Skunk From a Crawl Space
- Get Rid of Fruit Rats in Florida
- Get Rid of Birds on My Porch
- Get Voles Out of Houses
- Get Rid of a Tick Infestation
- Get Rid of Rats in the Vegetable Garden
- Kill Ticks in a Yard
- Get Rid of Snakes in My Yard
- Get Rid of Annoying Birds in the Yard
- Keep Groundhogs Out of Home Gardens
- Get Rid of Rats in the Garden
- Keep Armadillos Out of Flower Beds