It's crucial that you know whether your lawn mower has a 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine. For example, each type of engine requires different fueling techniques. If you try to fuel a 2-cycle engine as you would a 4-cycle engine, it will freeze up. The engine will then likely need to be replaced. Likewise with a 4-cycle engine. Fuel it up improperly and and can foul-up, or even damage, the carburetor.
Determine how to add fuel to your lawnmower. Both types of mowers will have gas tanks, of course, but look for a crankcase with a filler tube to add oil. The top will screw off to reveal a dipstick. If there is a place to add oil separately, it's a 4-cycle engine. If you mix oil along with the gasoline when you fuel up, then that tells you it's a 2-cycle lawnmower.
Refer to the maintenance section of the owner's manual. If it instructs you to change the oil on a regular basis, as well as before you store it for the winter, then you have a 4-cycle lawnmower.
Try to start the lawnmower during the cold weather. Two-cycle engines start much easier. However, they give off more smoke. Also pay attention to the noise the lawnmower makes when it's running. A machine with a 2-cycle engine is much noisier than a machine with a 4-cycle engine.
Run the lawnmower up a steep incline. A 2-cycle engine won't lose its power like a 4-cycle engine will. It will have approximately twice as much power.
Things You Will Need
- Lawnmower owner's manual
- Because 2-cycle engines are smaller and lighter, they are best for small machines like leaf blowers and chainsaws. Keep that in mind when you're making the comparisons.
- Replace the Pull Cord on an MTD Mower
- Clean a Lawn Mower Engine
- 2-Stroke Vs. 4-Stroke Weed Eaters
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- MTD 139 CC OHV Engine Specs
- Get Old Lawn Mowers Started
- Poulan P3314 Chainsaw Troubleshooting
- Why Does My Lawn Mower Keep Stalling?
- What Causes a Leaf Blower to Smoke?
- Tune Up a Ryobi Weed Eater's Engine
- Clean a Stihl Weed Eater Muffler
- Troubleshoot a Yardman Riding Lawn Mower