Eucalyptus trees are native to Australia but they are now prized in home landscapes around the world. They thrive in areas with warm summers and mild winters, as they do not tolerate prolonged periods of cold. Regular trimming helps the eucalyptus maintain its shape as the tree continues to grow. Eucalyptus trees are also susceptible to wind damage, which occurs when weak branches are broken off and cause damage to healthy sections of the tree. Yearly trims keep the eucalyptus healthy and damage-free.
Remove dead branches where they join the trunk or a main branch. Cut off branches that are less than 2 inches in diameter with a sturdy pair of loppers or clippers and remove larger branches with a pruning saw.
Trim out damaged branches from where they emerge from the healthy wood. Cut the branches back to within 1/2 inch of a leaf bud or healthy branching twig.
Thin out the interior of the branches to prevent future damage. Cut out any crossed branches that rub against one another or those that are positioned close enough together that they knock into each other when it is windy.
Thin out top-heavy trees or thin the top of eucalyptus trees where you wish to control the height. Cut back up to one-third the height of the top branches, making each cut within 1/2 inch of a branch or leaf bud.
Things You Will Need
- Pruning loppers or clippers
- Pruning saw
- Maintenance trims do not affect the flowering of the tree.
- Eucalyptus trees produce heavy sap when they are cut. Rinse the loppers or saw off regularly as you trim so they do not become sticky.
- Do not trim eucalyptus during humid weather or in late fall. Instead, prune the tree during the heat of summer.
- Eucalyptus tend to become top heavy so avoid pruning out too many of the lower branches.
- How Fast Will a Whitespire Birch Tree Grow?
- Care for Eucalyptus Plants
- Cut Back Japanese Maple Trees
- Information About Florida Eucalyptus Trees
- Prune a Chaste Tree
- Prune Sweetgum
- Keep Bonsai Tree Leaves Small
- Prune a Weeping Fig Tree
- What Weed Killer Kills Buckthorn?
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Prune Eucalyptus Trees
- Prune a Mulberry Tree