Borax has been used as an herbicide since the 1920s. Boron, its active ingredient, is lethal to broad-leaf weeds like creeping charlie plants in very small amounts. And since the lethal dosage for broad-leaf weeds is less than the lethal dosage for lawn grass, Borax can be safely used to kill creeping charlie growing in your lawn. However, your lawn can only tolerate so much. Boron accumulates in the soil and repeated use can form hot spots that may create brown spots in your grass. Borax can only be used once annually for two years before dangerous levels are accumulated. If creeping charlie persists, switch to an herbicide prescribed for use on the plant.
Add 10 ounces of Borax in 1/2 cup of warm water. Mix well until all the Borax is dissolved.
Add the Borax solution to 2.5 gallons of water. Mix well.
Add this mixture to your hose-end sprayer.
Cover any desirable broad-leaf plants on the edge of your lawn with plastic to avoid accidentally spraying them.
Spray the lawn, following your hose-end sprayer's instructions for application rates, so that it is coated evenly with the solution. The above formula is enough to cover 1,000 square feet of lawn. For the best results, treat creeping charlie in the spring when it is actively growing. Spray early in the morning on a day with no wind and no rain forecast for the next 48 hours.
Things You Will Need
- Hose-end sprayer
- The lawn experts at the University of Minnesota recommends that you first make a trial run: Fill your lawn sprayer with water and walk at a steady pace over your lawn to familiarize yourself with the pace you need to walk to apply the solution evenly over your lawn.
- Creeping charlie is likely to return in shady areas of your lawn where grass may not grow rapidly or thickly enough to out-compete it. Once creeping charlie is gone, re-plant shady areas of your lawn with a shade-tolerant variety of grass or ground cover.
- A healthy lawn may be able to resist creeping charlie infestation.
- Kill Johnson Grass With a Rope Wick Applicator
- After Fertilizing Your Lawn, When Is it Safe to Let Your Pets on the Lawn
- The Best Pre-Emergent Lawn Fertilizer for Spring
- Kill Mature Crabgrass
- Use Borax on Your Lawn to Kill Creeping Charlie
- Apply Scotts Turf Builder
- The Effects of Detergent on Grass
- How Long to Wait Before Planting After Spraying With Roundup?
- Neutralize Salt in Lawn
- Remove Salt on Paver Bricks
- Get Rid of Weeds Naturally
- Make the Best Homemade Liquid Lawn Fertilizer