Rheem furnaces are high efficiency gas models that are available in several different formats, including upflow, downflow, horizontal or upflow/downflow horizontal. Most Rheem furnaces include a diagnostic display panel, stainless steel heat exchanger, reduced firing rates and a low speed fan. While the furnace should function well with periodic care and maintenance, issues may arise with the unit. One such problem is if the furnace is making a humming noise, which can potentially be solved with some troubleshooting techniques.
Arrange items in the home away from return-air grilles and maintain a space between objects and the vents and grilles on the furnace. If the vents and grilles are obstructed, air flow is reduced and a humming noise may result as the furnace works harder to operate.
Unplug and turn off the Rheem furnace. Remove the main access panel and push the filter up and in to release the filter from the housing. Clean the filter with water and dishwashing liquid before rinsing well. Air dry the filter until completely dry and put the filter back in the housing by pushing down and in.
Clean the blower fan and motor with a soft brush to eliminate dirt or debris that may be causing the noise.
Tighten the mounting screws inside the burner compartment and the blower compartment.
Verify that the connections on the furnace are firmly tightened and are not damaged, cracked or torn.
Restore power to the furnace. Contact Rheem if the noise continues.
Things You Will Need
- Dishwashing liquid
- Cleaning sponge
- Soft brush
- Why Does the Start Capacitor Overheat?
- Tell a Defective FireX
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Troubleshoot a Gravely Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- Loud Noises from a Kenmore Progressive Vacuum
- Remove a Homelite Trimmer Clutch
- Fix a Hoover Vacuum When the Brushes Are Not Moving
- Poulan P3314 Chainsaw Troubleshooting
- How do I Troubleshoot a Stihl Fs45 Trimmer?
- Can You Lubricate a Bathroom Vent Fan?
- Disable the Seat Safety Switch on a Craftsman Mower
- Adjust the Idle Screw on a Leaf Blower