To kill perennial weeds, you need a product called glyphosate. Glyphosate, N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine, can be purchased by itself or as an active ingredient in many name-brand herbicides. As with all chemicals, it is important that you fully read the product label and adhere to all safety recommendations before you mix the glyphosate with water to apply it to your weeds. This will also ensure that your weeds are treated correctly so you can get the best results from the herbicide.
Put on a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, chemical-resistant gloves, goggles and a face mask. This is necessary to protect you from eye damage, skin irritation and respiratory distress that could occur if the chemical comes in contact with your body.
Pour 13 oz. of glyphosate into a backpack sprayer.
Add 1 gallon of water to the glyphosate in the backpack sprayer.
Put the lid on the backpack sprayer, and shake the sprayer to combine the two ingredients. You now have enough glyphosate to cover 400 square feet. If you need to cover a bigger space, multiply the ingredients.
Aim the backpack sprayer at the leaves of the weeds you want to kill. The chemical is absorbed through the leaves, not through the roots. Spray until all of the weeds are soaked.
Things You Will Need
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Long pants
- Chemical-resistant gloves
- Face mask
- 13 oz. glyphosate
- 1 gallon water
- Backpack sprayer
- Keep pets and other family members indoors when applying this product. Do not allow them outdoors until the glyphosate has completely dried.
- If you encounter a medical emergency during the use of this product, call 1-800-308-5391.
- Mix Tempo Insecticide
- Use Bayer Advanced Brush Killer
- When Is a Good Time to Weed Spray Your Lawn?
- Use Ortho Weed B Gon Max Plus Crabgrass Control
- The Best Way to Kill Weeds in Centipede Grass
- Mix Image Herbicide
- Apply Caseron Weed Killer
- Use Bleach As a Grass & Weed Killer
- Kill Mare's-tail Weed
- Make Weed Killer From Household Items
- How Soon Can You Replant After Using Roundup?
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine