American scientists have been working hard to stimulate the adoption of "WW-B. Dahl," an old-world bluestem grass originally harvested in India, ever since a joint team of USDA and Texas-based agricultural specialists released the grass in 1994. The B. Dahl strain features a variety of advantageous characteristics, including long life, the retention of foliage throughout the growing season, increased protein levels and a pleasant odor. Individuals looking to introduce this grass, often simply called "B. Dahl," onto their property should plant the grass in late April or early May.
Pull any weeds from the area prior to planting. Apply a weed-killer for large patches of weeds if desired, but read the product labeling to determine the length of time you should wait to begin seeding after application.
Layer any necessary amendments over the top of the soil. Till the area until the soil is a granular consistency.
Rake the soil to even it out.
Add the B. Dahl seed to a broadcast spreader. Apply 2 pounds of pure live B. Dahl seed for every acre of land being planted.
Start spreading the seed over the soil. Walk at a consistent pace in straight, even lines to spread the seed evenly over the entire area.
Rake the area again to cover the seeds in 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of soil. Wheel a lawn roller over the area to firm the seedbed, which is essential for B. Dahl growth. Drive a car over the soil if possible -- if the tire tracks are visible, continue packing the soil until it is more firm.
Keep the soil moistened until the grass is firmly established, which may take several months. Remove any weeds that appear in the soil.
Things You Will Need
- Weed-killer -- optional
- Soil amendments -- optional
- Broadcast spreader
- Lawn roller
- B. Dahl grows very slowly. It is critical to eliminate weeds while the plants are establishing.
- Grow Grass in the Shortest Time
- Germinate Bahia Grass Seeds
- Neutralize Urea Burns in Lawn Grass
- How Long Is the Oat Growing Season?
- Reseed Fescue
- How Long Does It Take for Grass Seed to Sprout?
- When to Plant Grass Seed in West Virginia
- Spread Buffel Grass Seed
- Seed Bahia Grass in Florida
- Grow Vaughn's Bermuda Grass
- Plant Grass Seeds in Michigan
- Seed Fescue in the Spring