Daylilies (Hemerocallis), are a popular flowering plant found in many American gardens. Known for their orange flowers that resemble a trumpet, daylilies are not poisonous to humans or dogs. However, they do pose a danger to cats.
Your cat will likely develop symptoms of daylily poisoning a few hours after eating the plant. The first symptoms to appear will be lethargy, lack of appetite and vomiting.
If your cat has eaten daylilies, its symptoms will continue to worsen without immediate veterinary care. If left untreated, your cat will likely go into kidney failure from eating daylilies.
- Daylilies (Hemerocallis), are a popular flowering plant found in many American gardens.
- If left untreated, your cat will likely go into kidney failure from eating daylilies.
Every part of the daylily, from the flower to the stem, is poisonous to cats. However, if your kids, horses or dogs eat some, they will have no reaction whatsoever.
Daylilies Poisonous To Dogs?
Daylilies are not toxic to dogs, according to the ASPCA, but another, similar plant is. True lilies (Lilium spp. ), which are similar in appearance to daylilies, are extremely toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure in less than two days. So although your dog will be safe, if you have a cat that goes outdoors, you might want to think twice about cultivating daylilies.
David Harris is a writer living in Portland, Ore. He currently is the editor-in-chief of the online magazine Spectrum Culture. He holds a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from Sarah Lawrence College.