Are Rose Petals Poisonous to Cats?
Cat owners often worry about the safety of the plants and flowers inside their home and in their garden. The rose, however, is a flower that is safe to have around cats.
Cats that ingest rose petals will not suffer toxic effects because the rose is not poisonous to cats, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ingested plant material often causes undesirable gastrointestinal symptoms, however.
Cats that ingest rose petals may develop symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea and depression, states Snik Snak.com. However, these symptoms should be short-lived and mild. Suffering from ongoing symptoms requires a visit to the veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Cats won't suffer from serious effects from eating rose petals, however, keeping them away from your plants is a good idea. Injuries can occur from ingesting the thorny parts of the rose bush and reactions to chemicals and pesticides can occur, as well. Keeping catnip or wheatgrass available for cats to nibble on won't harm cats, and may squelch the urge to eat other plants.
Rose Petals Fresh
Rose petals are the most attractive and desirable components of the rose plant. The petals are full of moisture at this time and optimally fresh. Eliminate moisture from external surfaces of rose petals. Spread the petals out on a paper towel or cloth and lightly pat them with a paper towel or cloth to remove any excess moisture. While the freshest rose petals are full of moisture on the inside, too much moisture on their outsides can compromise their freshness, causing them to become soggy, moldy and discolored. Keep rose petals in a cool place when not in use. A refrigerator is an ideal location to store rose petals. Keep the refrigerator set to about 37 degrees F. or above.