When you get a Venus flytrap, chances are it came in a small pot with a plastic domed cover, as Venus flytraps prefer a hot, humid environment. If you do not have a terrarium at home to transplant the flytrap to, you can easily make one with common household items.
Repot the Venus Flytrap
Mix together equal amounts of peat or sphagnum moss and sand in a large bowl or bucket.
Fill the bottom 1 inch of a 6-inch pot with pebbles and the next 1/4 inch with activated charcoal.
Fill the remaining pot with the moss mixture. Dig a hole 2 inches deep and 2 inches wide in the center of the mixture. Water the mixture until water drains from the bottom of the pot.
Remove the Venus flytrap from the original pot. Shake any soil mixture gently from the roots.
Place the root ball of the Venus flytrap into the center of the dug hole and cover with additional moss and sand medium.
Make the Terrarium
Wash and rinse a 2-liter soda bottle. Remove the label and put the cap back on.
Cut the bottom one-third of the plastic bottle off using scissors or a razor knife.
Set the open end of the bottom over the Venus flytrap in the pot.
Press down on the top of the bottle to ensure that it is firmly in the pot.
Remove the cap of the bottle when water condensation begins appearing on the inside. This will allow fresh air into the terrarium.
Things You Will Need
- Peat or sphagnum moss
- Large bowl or bucket
- Activated charcoal
- 6-inch growing container
- Garden trowel or large spoon
- 2-liter soda bottle
- Scissors or razor knife
- The soda bottle terrarium can easily be lifted from the pot to feed your flytrap.
- As the plant grows, you can replant in an 8-inch pot and use a 3-liter bottle for the terrarium hood.
- Start Hoya Plants
- How Can I Make a Self-Watering Probe?
- Make a Plastic Bottle Terrarium
- Grow Pepper Plants Indoors
- Make an Orchid Hanging Basket
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Care for Irish Moss
- Re-Pot an Aloe Vera Plant
- Grow Tangelo Seeds
- Transplant Aloe Vera Plants
- Grow Vanilla Beans
- Start Plumeria From Cuttings