Decorating your basement can make the space more usable and welcoming. One common issue, however, when decorating some basements is hanging items on concrete walls. Some simply stick adhesive hooks to the wall, but these cannot support a lot of weight and may be unable to adhere to the porous surface. Instead, drill anchor holes to anchor the hook to the wall. This method will work to hang items on both smooth and concrete block walls. Use plastic anchors if your item is less than 20 lbs. and metal anchors if it is more than 20 lbs.
Measure and mark where you would like to hang the item. Once you drill a hole, it will be difficult to patch it so ensure that you are drilling exactly where you want to hang the item. If possible, choose to hang the picture on a mortar joint if your wall is made of concrete blocks. This is preferable because it is easier to patch a hole in the mortar than in the concrete.
Drill a 3/16-inch hole into the wall at the mark.
Insert the anchor into the hole.
Insert the screw into the anchor. The screw will have a hook attached to it.
Tighten the screw with the drill.
Hang the item.
Things You Will Need
- 3/16-inch hole bit
- Anchor-screw and hook
- Grow Zebra Grass
- Paint Concrete Fireplaces
- Remove Glue From Concrete for Staining
- Remove Cement & Mortar Stains From Paving Stones
- Can I Install Vinyl Railing on a Cement Porch?
- Clean Pool Tile and Grout
- Control Scale Insects on Indoor Plants
- Seal a Concrete Slab
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Use Precast Concrete Piers
- Seal Block Walls to Prevent Water
- Seal Old Concrete Floors