Engine problems with Honda self-propelled mowers can include the mower not starting and smoking. Other issues that you can run into with the mowers include a poor cut. There are tricks to getting a good cut, including setting the blade height properly and have a sharp blade. Getting the correct dryness-to-wet ratio is also important. All of these issues can be corrected.
Move the switch to the "On" or "Choke" position if the Honda self-propelled mower won’t start. Make sure the tank is full of fuel. Don’t use gasoline from the previous season.
Adjust the choke if the self-propelled mower saw smokes excessively. The choke may be partially on when it should be in a non-choke position. Other adjustments to make are to move the lever to the "Fast" position when cutting. Run the engine at maximum rpm (revolutions per minute) when cutting. If you notice the engine speed dropping, the mower may be overloaded. Raise the mower by adjusting the wheels.
Take a close look at the cut of the grass if the results are disappointing. Grass has stems and leaves. A scalped lawn-effect is derived from cutting the leaves off. Set the Honda self-propelled mower’s height a little above the join of stem and leaf. The whole lawn will look better.
Look for shredded ends on the grass after cutting it. Shredded ends, particularly those that turn brown quickly indicate a dull blade. Take the Honda mower in to the shop and have the blade sharpened.
Water the lawn a day before cutting if the mower stirs up a lot of dust. Dust is unpleasant for you to work in and can also clog the air filter, causing strain on the engine and poor fuel economy. Don’t cut grass with the Honda self-propelled mower when the lawn is too wet. Wet grass will clog the mower, and can be slippery, which is dangerous for you.
Things You Will Need
- Fresh gasoline
- Operate a John Deere Riding Lawn Mower
- Start Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
- Jump Start a Riding Lawn Mower
- Troubleshooting a Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower
- Drive a Riding Lawn Mower
- The Mowing Height for Bermuda Grass
- Set the Height on a Lawn Mower
- Which Size Wrench Do I Need to Change the Blades on My 44 Inch Cub Cadet?
- Troubleshooting Idling Problems in Push Lawn Mowers
- Grass Mulching Vs. Cutting
- Grow Aloe Vera Plants From a Cutting
- How Often Should You Sharpen a Reel Mower?