When you notice that you are using more oil than usual in your John Deere L-Series lawn tractor engine, it is a good sign that the oil pan seal is going bad and leaking. The oil pan seal is located between the oil pan on the base of the engine and the engine block. Over time the oil pan seal will deteriorate and allow the oil in the engine block to seep out.
Park your lawn tractor and shut it off. Open the hood to expose the engine.
Fit the crescent wrench on the oil drain plug located at the base of the oil dipstick. Unscrew the plug and allow the oil to drain into the oil drain pan. Screw the oil drain plug back in tightly.
Locate the eight bolts that fasten the base of the engine block to the lawn tractor frame.
Fit the appropriate socket on the nut under the lawn tractor frame and a socket on the top of the bolt at the base of the engine block. Unscrew the bolts holding the engine to the lawn tractor frame. Lean the engine forward to get the belt to slide off the pulley under the engine. Pull the engine off the lawn tractor frame.
Flip the engine upside down so the crankshaft is pointing up. Fit the pipe wrench on the crankshaft. Fit the proper socket on the bolt holding the pulley onto the base of the crankshaft. Unscrew the bolt and remove the pulley.
Fit the proper socket on the six bolts holding the oil pan onto the base of the engine block. Unscrew the oil pan bolts.
Pull the oil pan off the crankshaft. Peel the oil pan seal off the engine block.
Things You Will Need
- Crescent wrench
- Oil drain pan
- Socket wrench and socket set
- Pipe wrench
- Change the Oil on a MTD Riding Lawnmower
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Remove the Blade on a Toro Zero-Turn Lawn Mower
- How Do I Determine the Oil to Gas Ratio in a Weed Trimmer?
- Clean an Oil Bath Air Filter
- Remove Riding Lawn Mower Tires From Rims
- Remove an Old Oil Filter From a John Deere Mower
- Make a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Go Faster
- Change Blades on a Finish Mower
- Clean the Carburetor on a 6.5 Toro Lawn Mower
- Will A Clogged Exhaust on Lawn Mower Stop The Engine?
- Remove a John Deere Mower Deck