When you notice that you are using more oil than usual in your John Deere L-Series lawn tractor engine, it is a good sign that the oil pan seal is going bad and leaking. The oil pan seal is located between the oil pan on the base of the engine and the engine block. Over time the oil pan seal will deteriorate and allow the oil in the engine block to seep out.
Park your lawn tractor and shut it off. Open the hood to expose the engine.
Fit the crescent wrench on the oil drain plug located at the base of the oil dipstick. Unscrew the plug and allow the oil to drain into the oil drain pan. Screw the oil drain plug back in tightly.
Locate the eight bolts that fasten the base of the engine block to the lawn tractor frame.
Fit the appropriate socket on the nut under the lawn tractor frame and a socket on the top of the bolt at the base of the engine block. Unscrew the bolts holding the engine to the lawn tractor frame. Lean the engine forward to get the belt to slide off the pulley under the engine. Pull the engine off the lawn tractor frame.
Flip the engine upside down so the crankshaft is pointing up. Fit the pipe wrench on the crankshaft. Fit the proper socket on the bolt holding the pulley onto the base of the crankshaft. Unscrew the bolt and remove the pulley.
Fit the proper socket on the six bolts holding the oil pan onto the base of the engine block. Unscrew the oil pan bolts.
Pull the oil pan off the crankshaft. Peel the oil pan seal off the engine block.
Things You Will Need
- Crescent wrench
- Oil drain pan
- Socket wrench and socket set
- Pipe wrench
- Change the Blade on a Yard Machine Lawn Tractor
- Replace a Sears Lawn Mower Battery
- Remove Riding Lawn Mower Tires From Rims
- Change Blades on a Finish Mower
- Change the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Zts 7500 Riding Mower
- Remove the Carburetor from a Toro Lawnmower
- Repair a Muffler on a Lawn Mower
- Remove John Deere Mower Blades
- Replace Brake Pads on LX172 John Deere Lawn Mower
- Adjust the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Replace Blades on a RZT 54 Cub Cadet
- Get Bad Gas Out of a Push Mower