Rust stains in plaster pools normally occur when metal objects are left on the pool's bottom. Coins and soda or beer cans can cause rust stains to develop in as little as 24 hours. It is important to avoid metal objects from entering your pool, but when they do there are certain procedures that can remove the ugly rust stains that develop on the plaster in your pool.
Turn the pump to the pool to the off position. Put on goggles so you can see the stain clearly under water.
Rub the wet/dry sandpaper onto the rust spot on the plaster wall. If the rust stain is on the bottom floor of the pool, attach the sandpaper with duct tape to the end of a pool pole. Dip the pole into the pool and rub the stain with the sandpaper. The sandpaper loosens and removes the rust from the stain.
Fill a white sock with 1 pound of granular chlorine.
Place the sock onto the rust stain by swimming down and placing it directly on the stain, or by tying the sock to the end of the pool pole and dipping the pole down into the pool with the sock directly on the stain. If the stain is on the plaster wall, tape the sock to the stain with with several rows of masking tape. The masking tape may not hold for a long period, but enough for it to bleach the stain.
Leave the sock on the stain for two hours then remove. The chlorine should dissipate in this time frame and bleach the stain.
Turn the pump to the pool to the on position and allow the filter to remove any rust particles.
Things You Will Need
- Wet/dry sandpaper
- Pool pole
- Duct tape
- White sock
- Granular chlorine
- Pool test strip
- When placing the white sock with the granular chlorine bleach onto a rust stain, do not keep taking the bleach in and out of the water as it can become explosive. Place the sock onto the stain and leave it until the bleach completely dissipates in the water. If not all of the chlorine has dissipated at the end of two hours, remove the sock and do not place it in the pool again.
- Remove Copper Sulfate From Water
- Clean Pet Stains on Concrete
- Install Sign Posts
- Treat Green Pool Water
- Repair a Pool Liner With Tape
- Use Bleach As a Grass & Weed Killer
- Clean the Ring Around the Pool Tile
- Treat Your Pool With Chemicals
- Fix Tiled Swimming Pool Leaks
- Remove Marks From Concrete
- Clean Concrete Walls
- Set Up an Inflatable Pool