Winterizing your Kayak above ground swimming pool can be done by following a few simple procedures. It's important to do this to protect and prolong the life of the pool, especially in a climate where freezing water is a concern.
Ensure the water is clean, clear and chemically balanced. This will protect the pool from corroding over the course of the winter.
Remove any deck equipment, including railing and ladders.
Clean the walls and sides, and thoroughly vacuum the pool to get out all debris, which could stain the sides while covered.
Add winter chemicals--shock and winter algaecide--and run the filter until the chemicals are fully dissolved.
Remove and clean the filter, chlorinator, skimmer and pump basket. Backwash the sand filter, if you have one.
Lower the water level below the return line where the water enters the pool. Do not lower water beyond this point or the pool could collapse.
Remove any exterior, detachable hoses and drain both the pump and filter. Store in a clean, dry place.
For a Kayak pool, refer to backyardcitypools.com/maintenance/Above-Ground-Winterizing-Instructions.htm for step-by-step instructions and diagrams on how to disassemble the pump and filter.
Cover the pool and any exterior exposed components to ensure water cannot enter.
Things You Will Need
- Plastic or cloth pool cover
- Winter chemicals
- Be sure to follow carefully all the instructions when mixing chemicals.
- Close an Inground Swimming Pool
- Prepare a Concrete Wall for Painting
- Winterize a Lawn Sprinkler Pump
- Above-Ground Pool Skimmer & Return Instructions
- Installation Instructions for Pool Main Drains
- Install Gorilla Bottom Above-Ground Pool Floor Padding
- Winterize a Drip Irrigation
- Convert a Swimming Pool to a Fish Pond
- Treat Green Pool Water
- Harvest & Store Green Beans
- Grow Melons in Wading Pools
- Clean Plaster in Pools