Electric weed eaters are garden tools used for trimming difficult to navigate yard areas, such as around posts or fences that lawnmowers cannot easily reach. They are used to combat tough overgrown grass and stubborn weeds.
Unplug the power cord of the weed eater. Remove the string spool by applying pressure and pulling on the tags located on the sides of the string spool or by pushing the tap button.
Remove any grass or dirt from the hub and spool of the weed eater and clean the surface area until all debris is removed.
Attach new string to the spool. Insert one end of the new string 1/2 inch into the slot located inside the string spool.
Wrap the string around the spool following the direction of the arrow that is etched into the side of the spool. Ensure the string is wound tight and that there is no slack. Slip the string into the notch located on the side of the spool and ensure 4 inches of the string sticks out the end. Refer to the photograph in the References section from the weed eater owner's manual to locate the notch.
Push the string into the exit hole located on the weed eater's hub and line up the notch with the exit hole that the string passed through. Refer to the photograph in the References section from the weed eater owner's manual to observe the way the string passes through the exit hole.
Apply pressure to the spool and push it into the hub. It should click into position. Pull the part of the string that is outside the hub by removing it from the notch and extending it.
Reattach the power cord and switch on the weed eater. A small section of the new string will automatically be cut to length and the tool is now ready for use.
Things You Will Need
- New weed eater string
- Use the same brand of string or the same size string so as not to damage the weed eater. Wear gloves when replacing the string.
- Always remove the power cord of the weed eater before cleaning or removing the string spool.
- Rewind the Spool of a Grass Trimmer
- Reload a Weed Eater Spool
- Install a Grass Gator
- Wind the Spool on a Black & Decker GrassHog XP
- Install a Ryobi 790R Brush Blade
- Load a Ryobi 105R String Trimmer
- Restring a FeatherLite Weedeater
- Change String on a Bolens Trimmer
- Replace String on a Ryobi Weed Trimmer
- Troubleshoot a Worx 2-in-1 Grass Trimmer
- Remove the String Head on a McCullough Trimmer
- Install Trimmer Line for a Troy-Bilt Tb20cs