Mold discolors concrete, and mold spores seep into the concrete below the surface due to the porous nature of concrete. A light cleaning of the concrete surface will not remove all of the mold, meaning improperly cleaned moldy concrete remains a health threat to people and animals. To get rid of mold on concrete, clean the concrete with a general cleaning solution followed a heavy coating of mold-killing cleanser.
Put on protective gear to keep mold spores off of your hands and feet and out of your eyes and airways.
Pour 2 Tbsp. dish detergent and hot water in a bucket, and mix them gently with the mop.
Saturate the floor with the mop. Do not wring the mop when you lift it out of the soapy water. Mop up the excess water after saturating the floor. Dump the dirty water after mopping. Dry mold spores become airborne when moved, so wetting the concrete thoroughly is important for your health.
Pour 1 cup bleach and 1 gallon of hot water into the bucket. Pour about a cup of the mixture on the concrete and scrub it in with the broom bristles. Add more bleach water when the area starts to look dry. Continue soaking and scrubbing until the entire surface is soaked with bleach.
Mop up the excess bleach water and expose the concrete to circulating air either by opening doors and windows or setting a fan to blow on it. You do not need to rinse the bleach water away.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Rubber boots
- Face mask
- 2 Tbsp. dish detergent
- Hot water
- 1 cup bleach
- Fan (optional)
- Do not use a sponge mop for the step with the bleach water, because bleach often reacts with sponges, causing them to break down and fall apart.
- Repair a Mobile Home Floor with Concrete
- Clean Leaf Stains Off Concrete
- Clean a Driveway With Muriatic Acid
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Clean Stamped Concrete
- Clean Concrete With Household Products
- Make Concrete Look Old
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Remove Redwood Stains From Concrete
- Gerbera Daisies Diseases
- Repair Salt-Damaged Concrete
- fix discolored concrete (Eco-friendly)