Installing homemade stepping stones to a yard or garden area is a creative way to add personality. Diversified colors, shapes and designs give each project individual flair. Mixing and pouring the stones yourself saves a lot of money and is an improvement project that will interest the whole family. The creation of stepping stones offers something for everyone. Children can carve their names, or family members can add anniversary dates and birthdays. A few hours of drying time is all you need to get this project going.
Mix one part Portland cement with three parts sand in a wheelbarrow. Sift all ingredients to ensure smooth stones as a result.
Add a colorant to the mix if you are wanting the stones to be a particular shade. Colorant is available at most home and garden centers.
Slowly add water and mix with a trowel or small garden shovel. Add water until the consistency is that of a thick pancake batter.
Pour into concrete molds of your choice. Allow them six to eight hours to dry and then remove them from the molds.
Wipe excess cement from the surface with a damp rag. Install them in your choice of locations.
Things You Will Need
- Portland cement
- Trowel or small shovel
- Stepping stone molds
- Small chisel
- Use white Portland cement if you will be dyeing the cement. The resulting color will be better.
- The stones can be carved using this recipe. Add names and important dates using a small chisel.
- Find out how to decorate your garden on a budget at the-landscape-design-site.com. (See the Resource section.)
- Use safety glasses and gloves when working with cement. It is an irritant and can chemically burn skin.
- Estimate Landscaping Costs
- Put Down Paving Stones
- Mix Spectracide Diazinon Insect Spray
- What Rock Is Cobblestone Made From?
- The Best Grass Seed for Patches
- Mix a 50 lb Bag of Concrete
- What Type of Grass Grows in the Shade?
- Lay Landscaping Blocks
- How Far Apart Should Apple Trees Be Planted?
- How To Add Stone Veneer to a Concrete Foundation Wall
- Mix Concrete Grout
- Alternatives to Concrete Steps