Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →

How to Kill Bees Coming Out of the Ground

John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images

In general, if at all possible, you should avoid killing ground bees. There are several varieties of bees that live in the ground, and they are all good for the soil. They eat grubs, aerate the soil and pollinate wild flowers. However, if the ground bees inhabit an area where children play or you have allergies, then it may be in your best interest to kill them.

Observe the bees. Ground bees live in a network of tunnels underneath your yard. While you watch them, note where their exit holes are. It won't be as easy to find them at night when you head out to treat them. The best time to watch bees is between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Dust the bee's exit holes and the area around them with an insecticide dust like carbaryl (Sevin is a popular brand) or bendiocarb (Ficam D). Follow the manufacturer's instructions for exact amounts, but a light dusting is usually sufficient.

Pour roughly 1/2 cup of gasoline into each of the bee's holes. This is quite an effective solution, and it really comes in handy if you can't access any of the dust insecticides. However, it may kill some of the surrounding plants.

Plug the bee's holes with mud after you have applied the insecticide of your choice.

Stung By Ground Bees?

If by "ground bees" you mean any bee-like flying insects that make their nests in the ground, then you can definitely get stung by "ground bees." Species from four different families make their nests in the ground. None of these bees are aggressive, and they are more beneficial than they are harmful. The two genera common in North America, (Vespula and Dolichovespula) are about the same size as bees, and they have the same yellow and black markings as honeybees. They are carnivorous and and are not pollinators. If you are bothered by flying marauders trying to share your dinner, they are yellowjackets, not bees.  * Yellowjackets have sleek, almost metallic bodies with a tiny bit of fuzz above the thorax. Symptoms include severe swelling, dizziness, nausea and loss of consciousness. If you or anyone else experiences these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. If you truly were stung by a bee, and not a wasp, the stinger may still be in the wound, and you'll feel better after you've removed it. Tweezers will pinch the stinger and potentially release more venom into your body.

Garden Guides
×