Cub Cadet lawnmowers are known for their quality and reliability. To keep your Cub Cadet up and running, a seasonal oil change is recommended. Although there are many different types and models of Cub Cadet lawn mowers, the instructions provided here will pertain to virtually every one. Always refill your Cub Cadet with factory recommended 5W-20 automotive motor oil for the best performance and maximum durability.
Start the mower and let it run for about three minutes to warm the oil. This will make it easier to drain. Turn the mower off, then remove the spark plug wire so that the mower can't accidentally start. Unscrew the oil dip-stick cap and place it on the side.
Locate the oil drain plug. Cub Cadet mowers have a drain plug either on the side of the motor or beneath the deck where the blade rotates.
Use a wrench to remove the oil drain plug. On side-mounted plugs, unscrew the plug and catch the flowing oil with an oil pan or equivalent. For drain plugs located beneath the deck, tip the mower up by its handle. To keep the handle firmly on the ground, place a weighted object, such as a five-gallon paint bucket or a heavy log, on top of it, or have another person stand on the handle. Remove the plug and drain the oil into a pan.
Replace the plug when the oil has drained. Remove the oil pan and, if the mower has been tipped up, put it back on its wheels.
Pour 5W-20 motor oil into the dip-stick hole. Add about half a quart of oil, then insert the dip stick and check the level. Continue adding oil until the level on the dip stick reaches the full mark. Screw the oil dip-stick cap back on.
Things You Will Need
- Oil pan or equivalent
- Weighted object
- 5W-20 automotive motor oil
- Be sure to take the used motor oil to an appropriate recycling center.
- Poulan P3314 Chainsaw Troubleshooting
- Tell If My Lawnmower Is a 2 Cycle?
- Kohler 18 HP Magnum Twin Specs
- Remove Craftsman Lawn Mower Blades
- Change the Transmission Fluid in a Sears Lawn Tractor
- Remove the Top of a Whirlpool Washing Machine
- Craftsman Lawn Mower Maintenance
- Change a Blade on a Yard Machine Mower
- Start a Riding Lawn Mower
- Change the Oil on a Craftsman 675 Series Mower
- How Do You Change the Oil in a John Deere 314 Hydrostatic Transmission
- Fix a Chain on a Black & Decker Alligator