Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map!

How to Clean Mildew From Porch

By Kylie Keeler

Your front porch is the first thing visitors see when they enter your home. Unsightly mildew greeting them isn’t necessarily the welcome you’re looking for, but how do you remove it? Depending on whether your porch is wood or concrete, you have a couple of options for ridding your home of your unwelcome welcome party.

For Wood Porch

Sweep your porch thoroughly to remove all loose debris.

Place safety goggles and protective mask over your face. While using a pressure washer is generally safe, using protective covering will prevent any microscopic debris or particles from entering your respiratory system.

Wash porch using pressure washer with a low-pressure nozzle. Use a sweeping motion to reach all areas of the porch. If you do not already own a pressure washer, rent one from a home improvement store.

Scrub any hard-to-reach, affected areas with a solution of one part chlorine bleach to five parts water.

Rinse porch completely with a standard water hose.

Let your porch dry.

Treat wooden porch with a clear wood sealer to protect against regrowth of mildew.

For Concrete Porch

Sweep porch to remove all loose debris and dirt.

Protect hands with protective gloves. Exposing skin to bleach for prolonged periods of time may cause your skin to become irritated.

Mix one part bleach with five parts water in a large cleaning bucket.

Scrub porch with a hard bristle brush using your bleach and water solution.

Let the solution stand on the concrete for 15 minutes. Allowing the solution to stand will give the bleach time to work through and remove the mildew.

Let the porch dry completely.

Apply a coat of clear concrete sealer to prevent the mildew from reappearing.


Things You Will Need

  • Water
  • Bleach
  • Pressure washer
  • Broom
  • Scrub brush
  • Wood sealer
  • Safety goggles
  • Protective mask
  • Clear wood sealer (optional)
  • Clear concrete sealer (optional)


  • When using bleach or other strong cleaning chemicals, avoid prolonged skin exposure as skin can become inflamed and irritated.
  • Always keep bleach and other harmful chemicals out of reach of small children and pets.

About the Author


Kylie Keeler has been freelance writing for more than 12 years. She has consulted and written for a number of publications and websites on Walt Disney World travel and Florida travel in general. Some of her former clients include Gannett Publications, Families.com and various private clients.