Painting cement with epoxy-based paint is very popular as a way to seal concrete, thus saving energy and preventing insects and moisture collection. Removing epoxy from paint, especially indoors, is very messy and time-consuming. The preferred method indoors is a combination of mopping and chemical treatment with solvents that are available at most home improvement stores.
Mop the floor with water to remove debris and any residual chemicals--such as engine oil--oil that may have stained your concrete. This step will make the process much easier in the end as the epoxy will become very messy when mixed with strippers and other chemicals.
Prepare a fresh bucket of clean water (cold) and mix it with the prescribed amount of your chosen stripper. Generally this will be 10 parts water to 1 part chemical.
Mop your floor with your chemical mix, using small circular strokes. As you mop, the chemicals will start combining with the epoxy, causing it to pool up. Continue mopping until you have a large pile of epoxy slop.
Remove the epoxy slop and mop the treated area with clean water.
Repeat Steps 3 through 4 for a single section at a time, allowing it to dry before moving on to the next section. Continue this process as needed. You may need several tries to completely remove all epoxy from your concrete.
Things You Will Need
- Chemical stripper (solvent)
- Filter mask
- Rubber gloves
- Using fans on an indoor or outdoor project will allow the floor to dry quickly as well as prevent the build-up of harmful fumes. Heat is also generated during the chemical reaction with epoxy, so take precautions--including frequent rests--to prevent getting tired quickly. Make sure to hydrate yourself regularly while following this process.
- Chemical solvents are toxic and should be treated as such. Always wear filter masks and rubber gloves while working with chemicals. Open windows and use fans if indoors to keep the area well-ventilated. Do not smoke or allow open flames near your chemicals. If your eyes become exposed to chemical solvents, flush them immediately with water and seek medical attention.