Landscape timbers are a popular choice of building material when constructing a raised flower bed, garden or when terracing a sloping landscape. To ensure your raised beds or terraces do not move, the timbers will need to be properly secured into place. Before adding soil to your raised beds, it is recommended to lay down a layer of landscaping fabric to inhibit the growth of weeds in your new garden.
Measure 2 inches from each end of all the landscape timbers with a tape measure. Mark the spot with a pencil. Measure the width of the face of the landscape timbers and mark the center point, along the initial marking you made. Where these two markings intersect is your drill point.
Drill a 3/8-inch hole at the marked spot, through to the underside of each end of the landscape timbers.
Level the ground where you plan to lay the landscape timbers. Use a shovel to fill in dips with soil and remove any bumps.
Lay the first level of landscape timbers in the desired design at the site.
Lay subsequent levels of landscape timbers on top of the first level to achieve the desired height. Ensure that all the drilled holes, at each end of the timbers, line up with each hole below it to form a clear path through to the ground.
Hammer a piece of rebar through the holes with a sledge hammer. Continue to pound the rebar through the holes until the rebar sinks 12 to 18 inches into the ground and is flush with the top landscape timber.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- 3/8-inch drill bit
- Sledge hammer
- Use an extension to extend the length of the drill bit for easier drilling of the holes.
- Always wear safety goggles when drilling or cutting wood.
- Build a Flower Bed With Landscape Timbers
- Terrace With Railroad Ties
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Install Stone Garden Edging
- Make Sandy Loam Soil
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Build a Raised Garden Bed From Cinder Blocks
- Install Landscape Blocks
- Install Pavers for a Grill
- Build Planters With Landscape Timbers
- Make a Concrete Form to Patch a Corner of My Foundation
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs