Periodically checking the oil on your Toro lawn mower is one way to extend the life of your mower. Too often owners neglect this simple task and end up with engines that seize due to lack of oil. Your Toro must have an adequate amount of oil to lubricate the moving parts within the engine. Checking the oil on a Toro mower, and adding oil as necessary keeps your engine lubricated correctly. The key to checking the oil is to park the mower on level ground so that you get an accurate reading.
Toro Push Mowers
Place the Toro mower on level ground. Locate the oil fill tube on the side of the engine. The fill tube has a yellow cap to clearly identify the oil fill tube.
Turn the cap counterclockwise with your hand and pull the cap off the oil fill tube. The dipstick is on the bottom of the cap. Wipe the dipstick clean with a clean shop rag.
Insert the dipstick into the oil fill tube and turn the cap clockwise to fully install the dipstick. Twist the cap counterclockwise and remove the dipstick. Check the oil level against the dipstick. There are two lines on the dipstick. The oil should be between the two lines. Add oil if necessary and fully insert the dipstick into the fill tube. Turn the cap clockwise to fully seal the cap.
Toro Riding Mowers
Park the Toro riding mower on a level surface. Pull the key out of the ignition, and raise the hood of the mower. Locate the yellow cap on the oil fill tube.
Pull the cap out of the fill tube. The dipstick attaches to the bottom of the cap just like any other mower. Wipe the dipstick clean with a shop rag.
Insert the dipstick into the fill tube and press the cap all the way down until it is fully on the fill tube. Pull the cap back out and check the oil level on the dipstick. Add oil if necessary, and place the dipstick back into the fill tube until the cap is fully on the fill tube.
Things You Will Need
- Shop rag
- Always ensure that the cap is fully sealed to the fill tube when checking oil. Failure to fully seat the cap before pulling the dipstick out results in a false reading.
- Change Oil in a Simplicity Coronet Mower
- Change the Oil in a MTD Push Lawn Mower
- Remove the String Head on a McCullough Trimmer
- How Do I Adjust The Drive Belt Tension on a Dixon Mower Model 3362?
- Add Transmission Oil to a John Deere 314
- Change the Oil in a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- MTD 139 CC OHV Engine Specs
- How a Governor on a Briggs & Stratton Engine Works
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Break in a New Lawn Mower Engine
- Remove a Carburetor From a Lawn Mower
- Adjust the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Lawn Tractor