Algae stains on a concrete pool can be a disgusting mess. Algae grow in pools when certain conditions are present. For example, winds contribute to the production of algae. When the spores fall into the pool, the sunlight and temperature allows the algae to grow. The amount of chlorine that you add to your pool does not necessarily keep algae away. When you drain your pool, you can remove the algae stains from the concrete. Algae stain removers like Olympic Mildew Check, Mason Select Concrete Cleaner and 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner clean algae stains and some protect from future outbreaks.
Purchase a new spray bottle or clean out an existing one thoroughly. Make sure that no other cleaner is present. Place a piece of masking tape on the bottle. Write "Algae Cleaner" on the masking tape using a permanent marker. Fill up half the bottle with the algae cleaner. This is only applicable if your cleaning product is a jug or bottle.
Spray the algae product on the concrete. Start with a small area, for example 2 feet by 2 feet. Soak the area to cover the entire algae stain. Wait for roughly 4 minutes.
Brush the area with a scrubbing brush. Use a circular motion and then scrub in rows to rub the stain remover in thoroughly.
Rinse the cleaner with the hose. Spray the concrete pool wall meticulously to eliminate the algae stain and cleaner. Repeat the cleaning procedure if any stains remain.
Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- Masking tape
- Permanent marker
- Algae stain remover
- Scrubbing brush
- Every time you drain your pool for cleaning, remove the algae stains.
- Read all directions and warnings on the container. Marking the spray bottle will prevent accidental misuse. Keep all cleaning products away from children.
- Rake Algae & Moss Out of a Pond
- Prepare a Concrete Wall for Painting
- Know When Mustard Algae in a Swimming Pool Is Dead
- Get Rid of Moss in My Farm Pond
- Stop a Kid's Pool From Going Green
- Test for Algae
- Skim Pond Algae to Use As Fertilizer
- Herbicides That Are Safe for Ponds
- Clear up a Cloudy Blue-Green Swimming Pool
- Remove & Prevent Algae in a Pond
- Prevent Algae Growth on a Brick Patio
- Spray Bleach on the Roof Without Climbing