Palm trees are a dramatic way to spice up a party or outdoor gathering. Unfortunately they are quite expensive and heavy, and the upkeep alone can be discouraging. For tropical party or luau decorations, make your own palm tree leaves at home.
Take five sheets at a time of green construction paper. Heat up the hot glue gun to prep.
Draw two lines, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bring the lines closer and closer together until they meet at a point to make an arrow shape. Repeat until the paper is full of as many of the designs as possible. You may make your lines larger if you feel they are not an adequate size.
Place your four remaining sheets of blank construction paper on top of the sheet with the design; make sure your edges are lined up evenly. Cut out the arrow shapes, along the lines and set the "leaves" aside.
Measure a pipe cleaner. If it is not the desired length ( at least 13 inches) for a leaf, wrap another pipe cleaner around it to extend it . Wrap tightly so as not to create a large knot that will stand out later.
Apply the hot glue to the pipe cleaner and attach individual leaflets 2 centimeters apart from each other until you have one full leaf. Do this on both sides of the pipe cleaner, lining the leaf points up on either side, so they are mirroring each other
Repeat this process as many times as needed per tree. When you are finished, you will have a long, green stem (pipe cleaners) with flowing tropical palm leaves (construction paper) attached.
Things You Will Need
- Green construction paper (at least 20 sheets per tree)
- Green pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue guns are dangerous and children should be supervised when using it.
- A Quick Way to Make a Grass Skirt for Kids
- Make a Pool Table Cake
- Build a Water Fountain Out of a Whiskey Barrel
- Care for a Queen Anne Palm
- Use Elephant Ear Leaves
- Make Homemade Palm Trees
- Weave a Rose Out of Palm Tree Leaves
- Tropical Leaf Identification
- Make a Tree Out of Construction Paper
- Large Leaf Tropical Plants
- Make a Wooden Christmas Tree
- Make an Arm Corsage