Hayward makes several kinds of pool filters, including sand and cartridge filters. Sand filters is the most common type of filter used for pools and is rather simple to clean and use. Typically, when the pressure gauge located on top of the filter shows that there is too much or not enough pressure in the filter, the filter needs to be changed or cleaned. The filter should be changed after 5 years for the best results and cleaned every week.
Turn off the pump. The pump sits next to the filter by the pool and must be switched to the off position before you start the process of cleaning the sand filter.
Place the valve on the filter to the backwash position. Hayward has a couple kinds of sand filters. One allows you to use valves, while the other uses a handle on the lid. If you have the one with the valves on the lid, then turn the valve to the backwash position. This allows the water to be reversed and eliminates most of the debris in the filter. Then turn the valve to rinse, and repeat again if needed until the water is clear.
Pull the handle up several inches. Hayward's other kind of sand filter with the handle on top of the lid is easier to clean by simply lifting the handle upward and leaving it there until the water becomes clear. Press the handle back down to shut off the backwash.
Wash the sand filter with a hose. Lift the lid off the filter and spray water through the sand filter to wash out any leftover particles. Then replace the lid.
Use a wet/dry shop vac. This is an extra step you can take if you don't feel like waiting for the filter to backwash. This will quickly pull out debris accumulated in the filter. Turn the pump back on for the filter to continue working.
- Keep your pool as clean as possible by using a net to gather large particles of debris that will end up clogging the filter.
- Assemble Intex Plunger Valves
- Troubleshoot a Pool Rover Jr. Pool Cleaner
- Clean a Hayward EC40 DE Filter
- Connect the Pool Vacuum Hose to the Pump
- Test a Lawn Mower Battery
- How Often Should I Change My Pool Filters?
- Start a Pool Pump for the First Time
- Specifications for a Hayward S244T Sand Filter
- How Often Should One Backwash a Pool Filter?
- Remove the Impeller on a Hayward Pool Pump
- Clear Up an Above Ground Pool That Is Cloudy
- Instructions for Greasing a Toro Riding Mower