This crafty fruit dish does double duty as a delicious part of a holiday dinner and a festive center piece for the dining or buffet table. The finished product will be a Christmas tree formed by fruit kabobs skewered on a pineapple. Your guests will be delighted and impressed by this visual and tasty treat.
Soak skewers in water for thirty minutes while you prepare the rest of the tree parts.
Cut off the top of the pineapple and one inch of the bottom of the pineapple. This will be the "tree trunk."
Prepare the fruit. Make melon balls out of the cantaloupe, and cut the pineapple into squares. Clean the strawberries and cut off the stems.Wash the grapes.
Thread the fruit onto the skewers to form the kabobs. Expect three to five pieces of fruit to fit each skewer. Leave about one inch without fruit at the base of the skewer to stick into the pineapple. A short piece of bamboo should also stick out at the end past the fruit.
Insert the fruit kabobs into the pineapple trunk at a downward slant. Start at the bottom and work your way up to the top.
Skewer a piece of star fruit and put it at the top of the tree as the "topper."
Things You Will Need
- 1 Star fruit
- 50 bamboo skewers of 4 to 5 inches in length
- If star fruit is not available you can cut a star out of a piece of the pineapple or melon.
- Keeping the tree very cold, perhaps even in the freezer for a short period, will keep it fresh and firm for a longer amount of time while on display.
- If 4 or 5 inch bamboo skewers are not available, any longer length can be cut down to size.
- Fruit substitutions or deletions will still make for a beautiful tree.
- Make sure you start at the bottom and work your way up. The tree will be easier to fill in that way.
- Store Pomegranates
- Plant Pineapples
- Dry Palm Tree Seeds
- Care for a Pineapple Guava
- Eat a Cactus Pear
- Cut Fruit in the Shape of Flowers
- Create Your Own Fruit Basket
- Florida Palm Trees & Their Fruit
- What's the Origin of Plantain?
- How Long Does It Take Apricot Trees to Produce Fruit?
- List of Tropical Fruit Trees for Florida
- Prepare Dragon Fruit