Some construction projects require drilling a hole in concrete. Holes are made in concrete for various reasons. Most are used to secure an object, such as a fence post. Drilling a hole in concrete might seem intimidating, but is quite simple to do. With the right tools and a little knowledge, you too will be prepared to drill holes in any hard surface.
Drill smaller holes in concrete using your hand-held drill. For larger holes consider renting a hammer drill or rotary hammer. Purchase a carbide tipped masonry drill bit the size of the hole you wish to drill.
Insert a small diameter masonry bit into your drill. Set the clutch to the highest number. Determine how deep your hole will be, and put a piece of masking tape on the drill bit at the appropriate length.
Place the drill perpendicular to the surface of the concrete and begin drilling. Push the drill in, and take the drill out, every 10 seconds. When using a hammer drill, you only need to withdraw the bit occasionally to remove concrete dust.
Don't apply pressure to the drill. Let the drill do the work. Exerting extra pressure on the drill could break the drill bit.
Replace the smaller drill bit with a larger drill bit, once the pilot hole is drilled. Making a thinner hole before drilling the desired hole, makes drilling the larger hole much easier.
Things You Will Need
- Drill motor
- Drill bit
- Run a small amount of water over the area while drilling. This reduces the amount of heat caused by the friction between the sides of the concrete and the drill.
- Older concrete is harder to drill, so be prepared.
- When using water, be careful not to get the drill motor wet.
- Wear a mask to prevent the inhalation of dust. Wear goggles to keep flying concrete out of your eyes.
- Connect a Pipe to Concrete Block
- Do I Need to Pre-Drill for Cedar Fence Boards?
- Plant a Dwarf Burford Holly
- Use a Chipping Hammer
- How Far Apart Should Apple Trees Be Planted?
- Remove a Bolt From Concrete
- Drill Holes in a Concrete Backer Board
- Install Sign Posts
- Drill Press Facts
- Attach Composite Decking to Concrete
- Uninstall an Inground Swimming Pool Slide
- Repel Chickens