In order for a Poulan Wild Thing chain saw to operate at peak efficiency the chain tension must be adjusted properly. If the tension is too tight the chain will bind up and not flow easily around the bar. If the tension is too loose it will sag beneath the bar resulting in poor cutting efficiency and may possibly even jump off its track creating a potentially hazardous situation. It is the nature of chains to stretch with use, particularly during the first few times you use the Poulan Wild Thing chain saw.
Put on heavy duty gloves. Insure the engine of the Poulan Wild Thing chain saw is off. Locate the bar nuts on the left side of the chain saw. Loosen the bar nuts until they are finger tight by turning them counter clockwise with the socket end of the chain adjustment tool.
Locate the chain adjusting screw on the bar forward of the bar nuts. Insert the screwdriver end of the chain adjustment tool into the adjusting screw. Turn the adjusting screw clockwise until there is no sag in the chain beneath the bar.
Place the shaft of the chain adjustment tool into a groove behind one of the blades on the chain. Push the chain forward with the chain adjustment tool allowing the chain to roll around the bar. Insure all links remain in the bar groove.
Grasp the tip of the bar with one hand and lift the bar. Insure there is no sag in the chain. If you observe any sag, insert the screwdriver end of the chain adjustment tool into the adjusting screw again, and turn the adjusting screw clockwise until the sag disappears.
Tighten the bar nuts with the socket end of the chain adjustment tool while still holding the tip of the bar up. Use the chain adjustment tool to push the chain forward allowing it to roll around the bar. Insure the chain rotates freely. Check again for sag. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the chain rotates freely around the bar and there is no sag.
Things You Will Need
- Poulan Wild Thing chain saw
- Chain adjustment tool
- Heavy duty goves
- Always loosen the bar nuts to finger tightness before attempting to adjust chain tension.
- Chain blades are extremely sharp and can cut even when the chain is not moving. Always wear protective gloves when handling the Poulan Wild Thing chain saw.
- Replace a Craftsman Edger Blade
- Chainsaw Throttle Cable Installation
- Replace Brake Pads on LX172 John Deere Lawn Mower
- Remove a Homelite Trimmer Clutch
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Adjust Deck Height on a Yardman Riding Mower
- Remove the Deck on a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Install a Mower Deck on a John Deere LX176
- Change the Drive Belt on a Craftsman Zts 7500 Riding Mower
- Change Batteries on a Cordless Black & Decker
- Identify Chainsaw Chains
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine