Artichokes are a great vegetable and easy to prepare. These are actually unopened flower bud of a thistle like plant. They are available year round and there peak times are March to May.
How to cook Artichokes
To clean the artichoke completely, submerge the artichoke in warm salt water for an hour to clean out all the dirt and other foreign substances.
To prepare the artichokes, cut the bottom stem from the artichokes with a knife on a cutting board. Cut off the bottom stems so it is flat and can sit upright in the pot to cook.
Remove the outer leaves of the artichoke near the bottom and dispose of the leaves. These leaves are the tough outer leaves and do not make for good eating.
Things You Will Need
- Lemon Juice
- Large pot
- Cutting Board
- This is a great vegetable to serve for dinner parties and also something unique for kids to eat since they can peel off the leaves and dip.
- Always be careful with hot water.
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Is Lucky Bamboo Poisonous to Cats?
- Use Peppermint to Get Rid of Fleas
- What Vegetables to Plant in Georgia
- Fantastic Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Grow Year-Round Lemongrass
- Make a Compost Bin From a Garbage Can
- Trim Arugula
- Save Angelonia Flower Seeds
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Prepare Sugar Snap Peas