Artichokes are a great vegetable and easy to prepare. These are actually unopened flower bud of a thistle like plant. They are available year round and there peak times are March to May.
How to cook Artichokes
To clean the artichoke completely, submerge the artichoke in warm salt water for an hour to clean out all the dirt and other foreign substances.
To prepare the artichokes, cut the bottom stem from the artichokes with a knife on a cutting board. Cut off the bottom stems so it is flat and can sit upright in the pot to cook.
Remove the outer leaves of the artichoke near the bottom and dispose of the leaves. These leaves are the tough outer leaves and do not make for good eating.
Things You Will Need
- Lemon Juice
- Large pot
- Cutting Board
- This is a great vegetable to serve for dinner parties and also something unique for kids to eat since they can peel off the leaves and dip.
- Always be careful with hot water.
- Do Geraniums Need Full Sun All Day?
- Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Why Are My Vegetable Plants Turning Yellow?
- Growing Edible Bamboo Shoots
- Freeze Dry Cranberries
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Transplant Allium
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- When Do You Plant Lilac Bushes: In the Fall or Spring?
- Prepare Dandelion Root
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Care for a Corkscrew Rush Plant