When you remove a tree from a landscape area, if you do not also remove the stump, you may wish to conceal it with creative landscaping. Hide tree stumps by surrounding them with a new planting area. Because the absent tree often opens up an area to allow more sunlight, you may find new sunny growing options for this space. Create a new raised bed around the tree stump to beautify the area.
Determine how large you want to make your new raised planting area around the stump. Purchase enough topsoil to fill the area to the depth you need to cover the stump completely; have between 4 and 6 inches of topsoil over the stump. Purchase the timbers or rocks you will need to surround the planting area.
Make the perimeter of the raised bed around the stump using landscaping timbers or large rocks. Create a square or rectangle shape with the timbers or a rounded shape with the rocks. You must make the perimeter of the raised bed high enough to contain all the topsoil you will add.
Dump the topsoil into the raised bed area, using a wheelbarrow. Continue adding loads of topsoil until you completely fill the entire area within the perimeter. When you finish this task, the stump will be hiding beneath the topsoil and you will have between 4 and 6 inches of topsoil above the top of the stump for planting flowers or plants.
Place the plants into the raised bed, spacing them at the proper distance from each other according to specific planting instructions for each kind of plant. Place the tallest plants in the center of the raised bed and surround the outer areas of the raised bed with shorter plants. Firm the soil around the new plants with your hands and water the entire raised bed thoroughly.
Add decorative mulch to the surface of the topsoil, if you desire.
Things You Will Need
- Landscaping timbers or large rocks
- Decorative mulch (stones, lava rocks or wood chips)
- You may need to cut the stump down to just above the soil level with a chain saw if it is too high to cover easily.
- Backfill Concrete
- Remove Large Tree Stumps
- Accelerate Stumps to Rot
- What to Do After Tree Stump Removal
- Kill Italian Cypress Trees
- Convert Square Footage of Rocks to Tons for Landscaping
- Use Rock Salt to Kill Roots or a Stump
- Dig Out Bradford Pear Roots
- Build a Bark Mulch Path
- Transplant Bird of Paradise
- Put Wood Chips in a Garden
- Replace Daylilies With Another Perennial