How to Make Grass Skirts for a Luau. Make your luau complete with grass skirts. If you're on a budget, follow these steps to make grass skirts for your guests using household garbage bags.
Choose large, sturdy trashbags with drawstrings. Choose green or beige or buy a variety of colors if you can find them.
Lay a garbage bag flat on a table.
Cut the bottom with scissors.
Cut strips about 1/2-inch apart, starting at (what was) the sealed end and stopping about 10 to 12 inches from the open end.
Trim the ends of the skirt to the desired length. Knee-length is traditional.
Tighten the drawstring and roll the waistband of the skirt once or twice to strengthen it.
Things You Will Need
- Garbage bags with drawstrings
- The skirts will be vulnerable to tears. Pass out the skirts right before the appropriate activity and tell guests to be careful.
- For shorter guests, roll the waistband up. This will also make the skirt stronger.
- Make a Compost Bin From a Garbage Can
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Install Sign Posts
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Build a Brick Bench
- Make a Halloween Flying Tree Ghost
- Kill Grass Before Mulch
- Lay Carpet Padding on Concrete
- How Long Does It Take for Grass Seed to Sprout?
- The Best Grass Seed for Full Sun
- Kill & Reseed an Existing Lawn
- When Is Grass Seed Ready to Harvest?