How to Keep Badgers Out of a Garden. Badgers dig: it's what they do. When they've decided to call your garden home, they can become a problem. Here are some ways to encourage them to move along to friendlier pastures.
Keep pet food and water bowls indoors. Badgers are opportunists and will grab a free meal if available.
Use hardware cloth (heavy wire grid) to cover small garden areas to prevent digging. Plants will grow through the grid, but the badgers can not dig through it.
Allow turf grass to grow long. Badgers search for worms and a short lawn means easy pickings.
Protect your garden with high walls or strong wire fences. Badgers can climb so the walls must be smooth. Concrete or brick works well. Wire fences should be high to discourage climbing.
Use electric fencing around your garden. Keep the fencing low to the ground. This method may not work if tunnels are already established.
Frighten badgers away with scare crows, portable radios, motion detection lighting or sprinklers. Badgers are cautious animals and can be deterred by unusual changes to their surroundings. Even something as simple as a wind-chime can help.
Secure trash can lids with bungee cords and wrap smelly food scraps in plastic. Remember that a badger will be able to overturn a bin if it can get a paw or its nose underneath it.
Things You Will Need
- Wind Chimes
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic bags
- portable radio
- electric fencing
- hardware cloth
- motion detecting lights or sprinklers
- bungee cords for trash cans
- Badgers prefer a slope, such as on the side of a hill or a bank, because water drains better and their tunnels stay dry.
- These diggers inhabit open plains and prairies in the Western United States, preferring sandy, chalk or limestone soil because it's easy to dig and stays dry. They do not usually dig in clay.
- Badgers are protected in the UK. They are gentle creatures and fun to watch if you can live with their destruction.
- Wild animals of any kind should not be handled or be made to feel threatened. Keep your distance and move slowly to avoid confrontation