Correctly fertilizing a yard helps in growing and maintaining healthy grass. The Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. produces a Turf Builder lawn fertilizer that you can use at home for any type of grass. For the most effective results, follow the instructions on applying it to your lawn. The fertilizer comes in granular form and is ready-to-use.
Wait for a hot day, preferably when temperatures reach 90 degrees. For the best results, apply the fertilizer when it is not windy and with there is no chance of rain.
Wet the ground lightly with your garden hose before applying Scotts granular fertilizer. This will help to stick the fertilizer to the ground so that it does not blow away if there is a slight breeze.
Put on protective clothing before you take Scotts fertilizer out of the bag. This should include clothing that covers your arms and legs, goggles for your eyes, and a mask for your mouth and nose.
Empty the fertilizer into your spreader. Then, adjust the number on the spreader based on the product label's suggestions. For example, if you are using a rotary spreader you would set the spreader on 3 3/4. If you are using a drop spreader, use the 7 setting.
Run your spreader across your lawn from front to back. Then go over your lawn with the spreader a second time from side to side. This will ensure that you do not miss any spots.
Water your lawn lightly one more time. This time the water will push the granules deeper in to the soil so that the soil can begin receiving the nutrients faster.
Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Fertilizer spreader
- Long clothing
- Scotts Turf Builder Lawn fertilizer
- Remove your clothing as soon as you have finished applying the Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer. Wash them in hot water to remove the chemicals.
- Always wait for your lawn to completely dry after using the fertilizer before you, or anyone in your family steps on to it. This includes your pets.
- Use Ferti-Lome Weed Out in a Hose End Sprayer
- Save Winter-kill Grass
- Scotts Lawn Fertilizer & Pets
- Spray Weed Killer
- Put Tide on a Lawn to Grow Grass
- Grow a Lawn in Clay Soil
- Homemade Lawn Fertilizer With Beer
- Remove Clovers From Centipede Grass
- Compare Lawn Fertilizer
- Proper Lawn Care in Zone 7
- Dethatch Bermuda Grass
- Start a Riding Lawn Mower