When cats are outdoors they will look for a spot to defecate. Often times this ends up being in someone's flowerbed. Once the cats find a spot they like, they will continue to go back to it. If it is your flowerbed, you will want to take action right away. There are several risks associated with cat feces. They include toxoplasmosis, an infection from a parasite, and E.Coli. You can use some home remedies to stop the cats from defecating in your flower beds.
Scatter pine cones all around your flower bed. Cats will not be able to walk around in the flower bed without stepping on the pine cones. The pine cones are sharp, and will irritate the cat's paws, so that cat will stay away.
Cut some chicken wire or mesh screens to set in the open areas of the flower bed. Again, the cat will not like walking on this material, and he won't be able to dig to cover up the spot he used to defecate. The cat will find somewhere else to go.
Spray a homemade cat repellent around the perimeter of your flower bed. This will deter cats from ever stepping foot in the flower bed. Pour distilled water into a spray bottle. Drip in eucalyptus oil, orange oil and lemon oil. Shake and you have your homemade repellent.
Set up a motion sensor sprinkler in your flower bed. Anytime a cat comes near the flower bed, the motion detector will set the sprinkler off. Cats don't like to get wet and will run in the other direction.
Things You Will Need
- Pine cones
- Chicken wire or mesh screen
- Spray bottle
- 1 qt. distilled water
- 20 drops eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops orange oil
- 10 drops lemon oil
- Motion sensor sprinkler
- Lay aluminum foil in a flower bed to deter cats from defecating. They don't like walking on aluminum foil, and they won't be able to dig after they go.
- Do not use mothballs in your flower bed. Mothballs emit a vapor that is toxic to humans and pets, even though it will keep your cat out of the flower bed.
- Does Boric Acid Kill Fire Ants?
- Keep Cats From Urinating in Flower Beds
- Make Homemade Natural Mosquito Insecticide
- How To Keep Stray Cats From Spraying a Yard
- Stop a Cat Meowing Outside Your Window
- Kill Tapeworms in a Yard
- Find a Yellow Jacket Hive
- Ultrasound Roach Repellent
- Get Rid of Rabbits Eating Flowers
- Rid a Yard of Slugs
- Stop a Cat From Eating Plants
- Remedies for Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds