Lawn moss can mar the smooth, green surface of your grass lawn, making the grass patchy and uneven. When it grows in large areas, it can even overwhelm your grass in some cases. However, you may be reluctant to spray lawn moss with a chemical pesticide. Fortunately, you can kill lawn moss with bleach without harming your lawn with just a little extra caution and care.
Protect your eyes and skin from the bleach. Wear long sleeves, long pants, goggles and gloves when you are working with the bleach.
Protect the area around the patch of moss. Bleach will not hurt the environment or the soil, but it will "burn" the blades of your grass in the space of about 10 minutes. Peg the tarps down over the grassy areas of your lawn to protect them from your bleach spray.
Mix a solution of bleach and water. Use 1 oz. of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Mix the solution in the sprayer.
Treat your lawn moss with the bleach spray. Be careful not to get the bleach on surrounding grass. Thoroughly wet the mossy area and keep it wet with the bleach spray for at least 15 minutes. Over the course of the day, you will notice the moss fading out and turning brown.
Remove the dead moss from your yard. You can dig it up with a spade and throw it away. Now that area of the lawn is ready to be reseeded with grass.
Remove the protective tarps. Once you are done spraying, you should remove the tarps so that your grass can enjoy the sunshine. If you leave them in place too long, you will kill your grass.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Long pants
- Hand or pump sprayer
- If you are killing the moss on a sunny day, you may have to refresh your bleach treatment every few minutes.
- Keep bleach off clothing and out of eyes. If you accidentally get it on your vegetation, rinse those plants off immediately.
- Prevent Grass & Moss From Growing Between Pavers
- Use a Tarp to Kill Grass
- Remove Green Moss on Metal Lawn Furniture
- Will Household Bleach Kill Grass?
- Get Rid of Moss Between Paver Stones
- Kill Moss on Grass Yards
- How Do I Kill Moss in My Flower Bed?
- Spray Diesel to Kill Grass
- Clean Slippery Patio Stones
- Use Tide for Roof Moss
- Get Rid of Chiggers in Your Yard
- Does Chlorinated Water Kill Grass?